Monday 18 June 2012

The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott


I was so excited when I spotted The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott on the shelf. I read Shadows on the Moon ages ago and loved it and so was hopeful that this one would be just as good. I was not disappointed! In fact, I devoured it all in one morning!

Alexandra is the daughter of the ruler of the land, loved dearly by her mother and brothers but not so much by her father. Her mother is schooled in the old ways and passes this gift onto her daughter The old ways are a form of magic that are bound in nature. Alexandra's mother is a much-loved cunning woman who dies after a horrific attack. Her father is lost in grief, wasting his days hunting the beast that killed her, until one day he finds a woman who will change Alexandra's life completely. This paves the way for Alexandra to begin a journey of self-discovery and leads to the salvation of the kingdom she loves.

Zoe has this magical ability to create a fairy tale world that feels completely believable and real as well as a place that the reader can escape to. And I mean truly escape to. I found myself keeping the vow of silence along with Alexandra and it took me a while to realise that I was allowed to use my voice. Her characters are completely believable and the love aspect isn't too soppy or all-consuming as in a lot of teen fiction these days. This book was so easy and a pleasure to read and I cannot recommend it enough.

I give it 9/10!

Title: The Swan Kingdom
Author: Zoe Marriott
Publisher: Walker Books
Teen Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment