Friday 10 May 2013

Touching the Void by Joe Simpson


In 1985 Joe Simpson and Simon Yates decided to take on the unbeaten challenge of climbing the West Face of Siula Grande, a mountain in Peru. Little did they know the nightmare that was awaiting them. They faced some of nature's fiercest powers including changing weather, extreme cold and mighty cliffs hiding in poor visibilty. Touching the Void is the true tale of the events and psychological trauma they faced.

As you can tell from my blog, I mostly read YA fiction even though I run a floor filled with non-fiction books. This is mostly because I love to escape and get sucked into the author's world when I'm reading and this isn't so easy to do when you're reading something that is factual. It takes me a lot longer to work my way through non-fiction books because they are a lot easier to put down and forget about for a few days. So when I tell you that I was hooked and really struggled to stop reading Touching the Void this should give you an idea of just how good it is!

It took me a chapter or so to get into the book as Joe sets the scene and describes the run up to the climb but once I got used to the style of writing and the setting I found I didn't want to stop. Simpson describes everything so well and I found that I got sucked into the setting just like I do with fiction. At times I could have used a dictionary as Simpson mentions various climbing terms that I'm not familiar with even though I now know a little bit about climbing and so perhaps a glossary would be useful but even this didn't spoil  the book for me. Simpson crafts his and Yates' experiences so vividly that when I read the part where Joe's leg gets broken I literally felt dizzy (I'm really not good with broken bones!). The way that they faced death and overcame truly is powerful and terrifying and towards the end I was so desperate for Joe to reach the camp before it was too late. Even though you know how it will end you still experience the doubt and uncertainty along with Joe and Simon every step of the way.

This is a dramatic and gripping read that tells the story of how two men showed true courage in the face of some of nature and life's toughest challenges. If you like adventure, travel, climbing or a thrilling tale then this book is for you, even if non-fiction isn't really your thing. And even if you're only mildly curious you should give it a go!

I give it 9/10 (because even now I'm not entirely sure I what a crampon is! Perhaps I should invest in the accompanying York Notes...)

Title: Touching the Void
Author: Joe Simpson
Publisher: Vintage
Travel Autobiography/ Outdoor Pursuits

No comments:

Post a Comment