Thursday 16 May 2013

Jesus is _____. by Judah Smith


Taken from the back of the book:
"Jesus is _____. How would you finish that sentence?

The subject is there, and so it the verb, but what comes next? Your answer could shed light on the path to becoming who you were made to be.

In these pages, Judah Smith fills out that sentence again and again, each time further revealing the character of Jesus. He writes as if to a friend, illustrating the importance of Christ's message to modern men and women. This is a book for new believers, for lifelong followers, and for the merely curious.

Judah Smith shows us the Jesus that sombre paintings and hymns fail to capture. With passion, humour, and conviction, he shows that Jesus is life. Jesus is grace. Jesus is your friend.

Jesus is a new and better way to be human."

Quite simply this is a book about Jesus. Who he is. Why he came. What this means for us. The idea behind it stemmed from giving people the chance to finish the sentence "Jesus is..." and the various responses they gave. Judah Smith answers it in various ways, explaining the answer and its importance for us.

Over the years I've read a few Christian books, yet few have affected my life as much as this one. Smith states simple truths that should be obvious but in some ways are so obvious we miss them, kind of like when you look through a window, how often do you see the glass? It is refreshing, honest, easy to read and actually made me laugh out loud in places as well as having a profound effect on how I think and live my life. It's rare that I get truly passionate about one book in particular to the point that I keep talking about it for over a month to everyone I know but this is one of those gems. It's a book that has helped me to remember the heart of my faith and has refreshed my way of thinking.

Judah is an American and so this does shine through occasionally but this isn't necessarily a bad thing and it doesn't create any barriers as can happen in some pieces of writing. In some ways it adds to the humour, e.g. "Money, for example, is amoral. Cars are amoral. Sports are amoral, except for maybe cricket - any game that takes five days to play must be sin. Apologies to my British friends." He writes in a very friendly and approachable way that means his book isn't a chore to read and the things he shares are easy to remember.

I recommend it to anyone who is remotely curious about Jesus and the truth of the Christian message, whether you think you know it all or not. It really is a book that those who want to know Jesus should read.

I give it 10/10 :)

Title: Jesus is _____.
Author: Judah Smith
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Christian Writing/Non-fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment