Thursday 4 July 2013

Clay Charms by Kaitlyn Nichols

Taken from Waterstones.com:
"Create your own adorable adornments with Clay Charms. Charm bracelets are always in style and this book shows girls how to customize their own bracelet with more than 30 different clay charm designs. Budding jewellers can learn how to make custom charms, bake them in an ordinary oven, add shine with the special glaze, and then attach your creations to the included bracelet."

I had to order this book in to our store for a customer and when it arrived it caught my eye as the charms looked very cute and it claimed to contain most of the things you'd need to make them. As I had a long Sunday ahead of me, I thought it might be a fun idea to order one in for myself and give it a go. I was not to be disappointed!

The book comes with different colours of clay to make the charms, glaze, charm hooks, rings, a bracelet, shaping tool and a display stand to hang them on whilst the glaze dries. The only things you need to provide yourself are paper clips to hang the charms on whilst they dry, a permanent marker to add finishing touches and foil, a baking sheet and an oven to cook them in. The only thing I feel is missing is a container for the clay to go in as it is unlikely that you will use it all up at once.

The book is incredibly user friendly. They've provided pictures at the beginning of each charm for you to measure up the amounts of clay that you need to create that particular one. The instructions are logical and easy to follow. There are tips on how to shape the clay, mix colours and deal with potential problems. The only charm I really struggled with out of the ones I tried was the cake one (I did abandon the attempt in the end) but I'm sure this will become easier with practice. I honestly thought it would be trickier but I am pleased to say that this is a great book. The quantity of clay provided is more than enough as well, even though it doesn't look like much at first, as in reality you use very little for each charm.

My creativity usually only stretches as far as stick men but here's proof that this book genuinely is easy to follow:


I would definitely recommend this book and am curious as to whether the other titles in the Klutz range are just as good.

I give it 8/10.

Title: Clay Charms
Author: Kaitlyn Nichols
Publisher: Klutz Press Inc.
Children's Activities

No comments:

Post a Comment