Friday 22 June 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass


Warning – only start this book if you have several hours to spare as it’s addictive and I just couldn’t put it down, no matter how much I tried telling myself I had to go to bed.

America Singer has grown up in a world where you’re born into a caste (class) in society and this determines your job, wealth and even your marriage opportunities. The man she loves is of a lower caste than hers which means he is poorer and less able to provide for her, making him feel ashamed and so he persuades her to put herself forward for the Selection. Despite the odds she is chosen to compete against 34 other girls for the ultimate place by the prince’s side as his wife. She should be thrilled about this opportunity but it’s not something she desires. Her life will be changed forever as she’s thrown into a world full of glittering ball gowns, extravagant food and fiercely competitive girliness as each one hopes to be the one to win Prince Maxon’s heart (or his crown). To make things worse, she’s caught the prince’s attention which of course brings the whispers and glares of the other girls. There’s danger too as the rebels are making frequent attacks against the palace.

I’m not usually a fan of girly books and the cover for this one would usually have put me off but there was a bit of a buzz about it and so I thought I’d give it a go. It was brilliant! America is a normal girl and not at all the air-headed girl you might expect which makes her easy to relate to. She’s also not so good at following the rules and I found myself becoming so attached to her that I was fearful that she’d get caught. It does have a dystopia type theme as it has the alternative reality scene where it’s set after the fourth world war in a world where society controls many more aspects of everyday life, including a curfew and jail-time for what we’d see today as more minor offences. But Cass has managed to strike a balance where this doesn’t make the book overwhelmingly depressing and the romance doesn’t make it overwhelmingly soppy and sickening. I can’t wait to read the next one having devoured this one in a single sitting! If you loved Wither by Lauren DeStefano or Matched by Ally Condie then you’ll love this one too.

I give it 9/10!

Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Collins
Teen Ficiton

No comments:

Post a Comment