Monday 18 June 2012

How To Teach Relativity To Your Dog by Chad Orzel


As I work in the non-fiction section of a bookshop, I thought it would be a really good idea to read some non-fiction books so when the opportunity came to read How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog by Chad Orzel I decided to take it. And I have to say that I'm glad I did! 


Having not studied physics past GCSE level, I wondered if I'd be able to follow the ideas in this book as I know many have found it confusing in the past but not only does Orzel make relativity easy to understand, he makes it fun! His use of Emmy the dog is fantastic as she raises all of the points and questions you might be thinking of, although I did find the concept of teaching physics to a dog weird at first as I've never owned a pet myself. I also found that at times I couldn't put the book down as I wanted to know more thanks to it fuelling my interest in this fascinating subject. My only criticism would be that sometimes I found it difficult to understand the illustrations but that could be more due to my brain than a lack of clarity. Overall I have to say that this is a great introduction to relativity and is a really great read as well :)

I give it 9/10



Title: How To Teach Relativity To Your Dog
Author: Chad Orzel
Publisher: Basic Books
Popular Science

No comments:

Post a Comment