Friday 8 March 2013

Anatomies by Hugh Aldersey-Williams


Anatomies is an exploration of the human body via the mediums of literature, art and history as well as science. It looks at the body as a whole, in parts, in death, in life and in our own perceptions.

Aldersey-Williams' previous book, Periodic Tales, is one of those books that I've been meaning to read for ages. It's one that sells well and has had quite a few good reviews. So when the opportunity came up to read Anatomies I thought I'd give it a go, especially as I was having a bit of a Grey's Anatomy catch up on DVD and so was definitely in a human body/sciencey zone.

Having finished the book it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Being a popular science title I expected a little bit more science but sadly there wasn't that much. Instead this book is more of an examination of how the human body has been represented in culture with plenty of related facts, some scientific, and a bit of history of how we've come to view each body part in that way. It was interesting to read but by the end of each chapter I found that I was still wanting more (potentially this was due to my hunger for more science). I didn't find that the book sucked me in as usually happens with fiction but that may be due more to the fact that it isn't a novel. I also found some of Aldersey-Williams' writing a bit difficult to engage with in places as he uses the odd unfamiliar word that just left me feeling a bit like I do when someone older and extremely well-educated is talking to me who can't help but make sure you know that they are very knowledgeable.

On the whole though, Anatomies is a great introduction to and a fascinating cultural look at the human body and is a book I would recommend to anyone who has an interest in this subject. It definitely opened my eyes more to how I view my own body and I found that for a day or so afterwards I would still be thinking about the body parts I had just read about and sharing random facts with others.

I give it 7/10.

Title: Anatomies
Author: Hugh Aldersey-Williams
Publisher: Viking
Popular Science

No comments:

Post a Comment