Friday 10 August 2012

The Forsaken by Lisa Stasse



Alenna Shawcross is a 16 year-old orphan growing up in a strictly controlled world which was once Canada, United States and Mexico but is now the United Northern Alliance (UNA). All teenagers sit the Government Personality Profile Test (GPPT) which is used to remove the Unanchored Souls from society and send them to Island Alpha - a place filled with depravity and a short life expectancy. When it's Alenna's turn she fully expects to pass but the government has already made up it's mind about her and so she soon finds herself stranded on a tropical island where she has to fight to survive the war between tribes as well as the highs and lows of friendship and love whilst embarking on a quest to find out the truth of her parents fate.

Ok so first I need to get The Hunger Games comparison out of my system. The Forsaken is so shameless in trying to get you to make this comparison that I just had to give it a go and see how it would fare. Here's the cover of my copy of The Hunger Games:

There's the black and red theme with blood splatters and the white text. There's the brunette on The Forsaken who has Katniss' weapon of choice. There's the the tagline to entice you. The Forsaken even declares "If you love Hunger Games read this!" Once inside the comparisons continue. A controlling government, teenagers plucked out of society and left in a contained area where they have to fight to survive, an island divided into sectors, machines that pluck people out of the environment, a mysterious barrier to keep them in the right place. So how does this book compare? I'd choose The Hunger Games 100% of the time. Alenna doesn't have Katniss' strength. The UNA government isn't as intimidating. The Island isn't as terrifying as the arena. And I found that by the end I just didn't care as it all just felt too weak. You know Alenna and Liam are most likely going to help overthrow the government and most likely David will probably play a part as a second love interest (oh how I hope not!).

So on its own how does The Forsaken do? As I've already mentioned it all feels weak. One of the great things about those books that make up the pinnacle of the dystopian genre is that you really experience the fear and danger of being part of that society and even the intensity of the romance. Alenna and Liam are in love after what appears to be a week or two at most and only a couple of kisses and conversations. The sort of love where you're willing to die for the other person. How did this happen? It lacks any sense of reality. Alenna is a weak leading lady too. She never really does anything. David saves her life in the opening chapters and whilst she vows to return the favour she never does even though the opportunity presents itself. Many others around her step up and act the hero while she watches or follows their ideas. The only plot point that I didn't find myself anticipating was the identity of the Monk. The story promises a lot but just left me feeling disappointed.

Stasse's writing style is slightly peculiar too. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is but it just feels slightly dreamy and not very engaging with the reader, almost as if Alenna isn't really that interested. She also uses italics for emphasis but for weird sentences where I can't really see a reason for it. The only effect it really achieved was irritating me. She also reveals that Alenna never sat the GPPT as the government knocked her out before it begun but Alenna keeps making references to never having expected to fail the test when she didn't because she didn't sit it. It's a minor thing but for some reason it just really bugged me. Stasse doesn't really spend much time building the world either which is why I think it lacks the intensity and realistic feel to the situations and relationships. For example, one second Gadya hates Alenna and then the next she has miraculously gotten over it and all is forgiven but there's no detail of the journey to that point or any left over resentment. Gadya is a much better main character and I kind of wish Stasse had made this her story but at least there is the room for Alenna to grow as a character. There's also the resources that the island's inhabitants have at their disposal: weapons, fireworks, clothing, truth serum, needles, cooking pots, etc. They're just too convenient and easy. The Forsaken just feels a little half-hearted.

I'm probably being unnecessarily harsh. If I'd read this book 2 years ago I'd probably appreciate it more than I do now because 2 years ago I hadn't read a single dystopian novel (that I was aware of, having never heard of the word until my bookselling career began) and so I would have nothing to compare it to. But reading it now is like having eaten Lindt or Cadbury's or Galaxy chocolate and then trying to eat a large bar of cheap Easter egg chocolate. It just doesn't satisfy you as much.

I give this book 5/10. It'll occupy your time and you'll find some enjoyment out of it but it isn't one of the greats (mind you, with the shameless attempt at a Hunger Games comparison it was unlikely to be). Will I read the sequel? Possibly, depending on what it promises and how intrigued I find myself over time. Will I be desperate for it? No, not really. If I never read it then I'm okay with that.

Title: The Forsaken
Author: Lisa Stasse
Publisher: Orchard Books
Teenage Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment